How CPR Works
|ADULT CPR REVIEW
In case of an emergency you may be the victim's only chance of survival. Until an ambulance arrives and professional assistance is available, you can increase that chance by 40% simply by remembering and effectively administering Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation.
1. Check for responsiveness by shouting and shaking the victim. Do NOT shake or move the victim if he has sustained spinal injury.
2. Call 9-1-1.
3. Remember your A-B-C:
4. Check for pulse and if necessary perform the cycle again.
- Airway: tilt the head back and lift the neck to clear the airway.
- Breathing: pinch the victim's nose and give two breaths, watching for the chest to rise with each breath.
- Circulation: if there is no pulse, perform 15 chest compressions - 2 hands, 2 inches.
Congratulations! You've completed the first step toward proficiency in BLS, so sit back... relax... reward yourself with a good cup of coffee!
A brief quiz that follows is intended to reinforce what you've learned about Adult CPR and we strongly recommend that you take and pass the test yourself before proceeding to the next section.
Are you ready? Let's go to the quiz