Cuts & Scrapes
Although most minor head injuries caused by a fall or a strike to the head may result in a bruise or a bump and are not dangerous, it is extremely important to pay close attention to the following symptoms:
If you detect any of the above, the victim may have sustained serious head trauma and will require professional medical attention. If that's the case, dial 9-1-1 immediately. Until the ambulance arrives:
- Excessive bleeding from an open wound
- Loss of consciousness
- Interruption of breathing
- Prolonged disorientation or apparent memory loss
If the injury does not appear serious or extend beyond minor bruising, it should be treated accordingly.
- If possible, place the victim in a dim, quite area.
- Lay the victim down with his head and shoulders slightly elevated.
- If the wound is bleeding, dress it with gauze or clean cloth.
- Do not leave the victim unattended.
- If the victim loses consciousness, you may need to perform CPR.