1. Check for responsiveness by patting the infant's shoulders or chest.
2. Remember your A-B-C:
- Airway: an infant's head should be tilted into the "sniffer position". Do not overextend an infant’s neck as this may close off the airway.
- Breathing: cover the infant's nose and mouth with your mouth and use gentle puffs, breathing from your cheeks, not your lungs.
- Circulation: check for pulse at the brachial artery, in the infant's inside upper arm. If there is none, perform five compressions - 2 fingers (approximately ˝ the size of a hand), ˝ inch.
3. Perform rescue efforts for 1 to 2 minutes before dialing 9-1-1.
4. Continue performing rescue efforts, checking for pulse every minute until help arrives.