Adult, child, and infant CPR & AED + Standard First Aid Course
Learn CPR. For Life™
Opening the airway with “head tilt-chin lift” technique:
- place one hand on the victim’s forehead and push with your palm to tilt the head back
- place the fingers of the other hand under the bony part of the lower jaw near the chin
- lift the jaw to bring the chin forward
All BLS providers should be able to use a bag-mask device. For most effective ventilation during CPR, one rescuer should open the airway and seal the mask against the victim’s face, while the other rescuer squeezes the bag.
- position yourself directly above the victim’s head
- place the mask on the victim’s face, using the bridge of the nose as a guide for correct position
- use the E-C clamp technique to hold the mask in place while you lift the jaw to hold the airway open
- squeeze the bag to give breaths (1 second each) while watching for chest rise.